On your walls, O Jerusalem, I have appointed watchmen; All day and all night they will never keep silent You who remind the LORD, take no rest for yourselves; And give Him no rest until He establishes And makes Jerusalem a praise in the earth.
In the above passage, we are being told to give “Him no rest until He establishes and makes Jerusalem a praise in the earth” – according to Barnes notes on the bible: “That it may be the subject of universal commendation and rejoicing, instead of being an object of reproach and scorn. The truth taught here is, that it is the privilege and duty of the ministers of God to pray unceasingly for the extension of his kingdom. Day and night the voice of prayer is to be urged, and urged as if they would give Yahweh no rest until the desires of their hearts should be granted”!
What great news for all creation, we are to not give the Lord any rest until
- the desires of our hearts shall be granted!
- he shall establish Jerusalem, and restore it to its former rank and privileges (the new heaven and earth – His Kingdom upon the earth – to come is the new Jerusalem – Revelation 21:2)!
“For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed.” (Romans 8:19) Let’s give Him no rest until His Kingdom is established upon the earth!
There are some really good prayers out there for the animal kingdom, so we thought we’d put some of them in one place! Feel free to use them in your personal prayer life with the Lord. Many of the prayers are from members on the Shepherding All God’s Creatures Prayer Group – some real prayer warriors! Praise God and for His glory!
Feel free as you read these to suggest additions to this page, thank you for your contributions! Check back, as this page will be a page in progress.
Blessings to you, your family, and the animals!
- Father in heaven thank you for your son for whom without we would not exist. Thank you for all of our beautiful animal creation who we are failing miserably to care for and protect. Father, only you can show us the way to end the atrocities that befall innocent animals every second of every day. Help us father to help them. Show us and empower us with the knowledge to know how to end these horrific sufferings of your precious creatures. Lord we trust you, please help us, guide us, be with us. In your son’s holy and precious name, amen. ~Laticia McDonald, Member, SAGC Prayer Group
- Lord I pray that, through your Holy Spirit, you will renew your Church and stir up your people; give us courage and a passion to proclaim the Gospel, by word AND by deed, that Christ Jesus is Lord of the WHOLE creation; give us the right words to say and motivate us to perform deeds of love for all your creatures; send us out as labourers into the harvest, that through our words and lives, others may hear afresh the Gospel message with ALL creation in mind, including the animals. In Jesus’ name. Amen. ~Roslyne Smith, Member, SAGC Prayer Group and Author on Shepherding All God’s Creatures
- Loving Creator of the universe, of all things visible and invisible, thank you for your magnificent creation of the first creatures, the animals. We strive to love them as You did before You made us. Give us the power to stand against the evil enemy who is ultimately behind their suffering and death. Give us courage through your Holy Spirit to reveal in Your light the truth of how sinfully they are treated. ‘You have put my tears in Your bottle. Are they not in your book? ‘Ps 56:8. Hear ours and the animals’ cries for mercy, and give us Your will to speak for them. We pray this in Jesus’ powerful name, Amen. ~Edward Idarraga, Member, SAGC Prayer Group
- Father, please intervene in ways that only you can – grow the seeds we plant, Lord, we are partnering with you to bring about your kingdom on earth for the animals and the people who love them as well as for all people and the entirety of your creation – we catch the vision of your creation working together in complete Shalom – please continue to guide us, inspire us, to live into the vision for this dark world to see, and to portray you and the life that you are for all of us; the world is hungry for you and only you can fill us. We praise you and we do all we do for your kingdom and for your glory. Amen. ~Kathy Dunn, Member, SAGC Prayer Group and Author on Shepherding All God’s Creatures
- Father, thank you for your son and for your grace. I just want to pray for shelter animals all over the world, but even more father, I want to pray for the people that operate and work in these shelters. I pray that their hearts would be softened and filled with merciful compassion that would blanket them. I pray that there would be no question about what the right thing is to do for these precious animals. I pray that you would open the eyes of the hearts of all shelter workers and that your peaceful mercy would overflow into all animal caretakers lives. Lord, I know that there is nothing that you can’t change in the world. Father, help us to change our attitudes, hearts, and behaviors towards all animals. I pray that we would see how they count on us to be their voices and protectors and see the helplessness of your precious creatures and help them. Father, you gave them to us to love and care for and it is a sad testament of the evil within us when we mistreat and abuse them against your will. Father, please help us to find adopters, fosters, volunteers and supporters to prevent the mass euthanasia that befalls your precious creatures everyday. Father, I pray these things in your sons holy and most precious name -Amen. ~Laticia McDonald, Member, SAGC Prayer Group
- A Prayer for Animals Attributed to St Basil: Enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers and sisters the animals to whom you gave the earth as their home in common with us. We remember with shame that in the past we have exercised the high dominion of humans with ruthless cruelty, so that the voice of the earth which should have gone up to you in song has been a groan of travail. May we realize that they live, not for us alone, but for themselves, and for you, and that they love the sweetness of life. We pray through our Savior Jesus Christ who lifts up and redeems us all. Amen.
- I pray for Christ’s spirit of peace to be released in our prayers and to rest upon every animal, situation, and those involved in causing harm to them. I thank Jesus for being our Prince of Peace in this world and for His sacrifice so we can claim the victory of peace in this world that he purchased for us by his blood. I praise our Father for who He is and His compassion and care for His animal creation. I also thank our Father for all of you and for your prayers. I declare that our prayers are powerful and effective and that they are sealed in the heavenly realm and that an army of the Lord’s angels are being sent out on our behalf. Thank you Jesus! ~Jaye Wald
- “O Lord, we pray for your whole creation:
For your wildlife, misused in entertainment;
For the hunted, trapped or over-worked;
For those abused, abandoned or homeless;
For your food animals, unnaturally imprisoned,
transported and slaughtered in terror;
For your animals cruelly used as laboratory tools.
We ask you to carry the pain of your suffering creatures, even the least of these. In Jesus’ name. Amen.” (Animal Christian Concern)
“O Lord, we ask you to look upon your whole creation, in all its sufferings.
Protect your animal creatures from all natural dangers;
and from human exploitation,
especially in laboratories, factory farms, live exports,
fur traps, bloodsports, entertainment, war and pollution.
Inspire all governments and those in authority
to legislate with compassion and justice
for the good of all your creation. In Jesus name. Amen.” (Animal Christian Concern)
“Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. “For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.”
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
~1 Thessalonians 5:16-18